The Friends of Morrab Gardens raise funds and organise events to support the work of the gardens. They produce a quarterly newsletter with updates from the gardens and news of forthcoming events. Here are some highlights from the Spring 2018 newsletter:
- Spring has well and truly sprung, and the gardens have been an absolute delight with 100’s of daffodils giving a lovely burst of sunny yellow, to brighten even the dullest days. Many thanks to Greenyard Flowers (previously Varfell), Longrock for donating a pallet load of mixed bulbs. It is always heartening when large companies support us and their generosity is very much appreciated.
- Our ‘Buy a Plant’ scheme has proved really popular. Everyone who has bought a plant will receive a note telling them where their plant is in the garden, and they can watch it grow, knowing that they have contributed to the beauty and sustainability of the gardens.
- Joe and the volunteers desperately needed another greenhouse (so we bought them one) for all the plants newly propagated. Plants will be on sale throughout the summer at our weekly Plant Sale from 10am to 12pm (day to be advised) as well as our Mazey Day Plant Stall. If you can spare a few hours to help with the plant sales, please do get in touch, we would love to hear from you.
- Members from the Gardeners’ House Team (Hypatia Trust, Friends of Morrab Gardens, Cornwall Council and Penzance Town Council) met with Heritage Lottery to put their case for lottery funding and were successful in being awarded just over £70,000. This is for the development of a business plan which is required for the second stage of the application.
- Cornwall Today have featured the Gardeners’ House project in their latest edition and details of the project can be found on Hypatia Trust’s website, so please check these out as there is lots of interesting information on both http://hypatia-trust.org.uk/gardeners-house/
- Last year we invited members to a ‘Gardeners’ Question Time’ and due to its popularity, we are hoping to arrange another. Look out for details on the garden noticeboard, on our website www.morrabgardens.org and our Facebook page. There is a full list of planned events in the newsletter.
- The new rustic seating in the children’s outdoor classroom has been a great success and we’re looking forward to schools using it as soon as the weather allows! Thanks to Cornwall Councillor Jim McKenna who kindly donated £200 from his Community Fund for this project.
- Many local artists use Morrab Gardens for their inspiration. One such Penzance artist is Lee Stevenson who has always thought of these gardens as an exotic escape from the pressures of a busy life. You can see more of Lee’s work at http://leestevenson.co.uk/